Water is something everyone needs even more than food. Depending on such factors as weight, ambient temperature and rates of exertion, the human body can typically survive seven to eight weeks without eating anything. But without water, that same body can only survive three to five days without water. You can experience dehydration in hot weather within an hour.
And that’s just one of the amazing facts about water.
Did you know that:
- approximately 70% of an adult body is made up of water;
- the minimum amount of water a healthy person should drink is eight or nine 8-oz. glasses per day; but he or she can consume as much as three gallons (48 8-oz. glasses) in a 24-hour period;
- drinking too much water can cause water intoxication, a condition in which water dilutes the sodium levels in the bloodstream and causes an imbalance of water in the brain;
- pure water, which is comprised only of hydrogen and oxygen atoms, has a neutral (as opposed to acidic or basic) pH of 7;
- the total amount of water on earth measures approximately 326 million cubic miles;
- of all the water on earth, humans can only use about three-tenths of one percent of this water, which is typically found in groundwater aquifers, rivers and freshwater lakes;
- the average person in the United States uses anywhere between 80 to 100 gallons of water per day;
- by the time a person feels thirsty, his or her body has lost over 1% of its total water amount; and
- the weight a person loses directly after an intense physical workout is weight from water and not fat.
People take water for granted, but it’s precious. Without it, there would be no life, human or otherwise. Polar Station water and ice vending machines respect this resource in two main ways. First, by using only local municipal sources as the basis for our on-site purified water and second, by only selling our water and ice products in bulk. Too often, the plastic from the water bottles found in grocery and convenience stores not only ends up in landfills, but also choking rivers, streams and other waterways.
An investment in one of our kiosks is an investment in people and the planet. We all need water, every day, especially when it’s as healthful and delicious as what our water and ice machines can produce. And it’s a green alternative that helps preserve the environment. If you’re looking to start a profitable business for yourself that you can feel good about, contact us today!
Originally posted 2012-08-20 11:29:12.